Bigger throttle bodies
Improved fuel injection
Revised intake funnels
To channel that power, a new, fully-adjustable inverted fork with 41mm tubes was added for the most precise handling possible.
That's why the R6 was the winner of Motorcycle-USA.com's Supersport Shootout for 2003 and 2004.
Engine upgrades in the form of 40mm throttle bodies, revised fuel injection and ignition mapping, new camshafts and intake funnels, etc., all result in a 3-horsepower increase at the same rpm as before with more power across the board.
New, fully adjustable inverted fork with 41mm tubes further reinforces R6’s main strength: precise handling. New, cast top triple clamp and forged lower clamp also increase rigidity, and work with revised handlebar positioning.
To complement the new fork, the rear section of the Deltabox III main frame was revised internally to work with revised swingarm linkage and mounts for improved handling.
Lighter, 310mm front brake discs replace 298mm units. New radial-mount four-piston calipers and radial master cylinder provide greater braking power and feel.
120/70-ZR17 front tire replaces previous 120/60-ZR17 for improved handling.
Twin, ring-type radiator fans are now used to ensure optimal engine cooling.
Revisedheadligh lens and revised under-cowl for even better style.
delivery and reduced frictional power loss. Sleeveless design also reduces weight.
· Lightweight forged pistons feature carburized connecting rods for superb strength and reduced reciprocating mass. The result is incredible engine response.
· Hollow side-driven camshafts with specially designed valve lifters and computer-perfected timing helps create a very narrow engine width.
· Revised competition-bred suction-piston throttle body fuel injection with new, larger 40mm throttle bodies (body diameter is up by 2mm over the 2004 model), features short intake ports and a special vacuum-controlled intake system to ensure instant seamless throttle response all the way up to the incredible 15,500-rpm redline.
· The preassure regulator setting has been increased to accommodate the larger throttle body diameter and the resulting increase in fuel flow.
· New air funnel diameters (39.6 to 41.6mm) to accommodate the larger throttle bodies and revised funnel lengths on cylinders 2 and 3.
· New larger intake manifold to accommodate the larger throttle bodies.
· Ram Air Induction System delivers cool, high-pressure air ''force-fed'' into the intake tract for optimal combustion and greater horsepower at higher speeds.
· Close-ratio 6-speed transmission delivers seamless power delivery and maximum acceleration. Gear widths, splines and engagement dogs are optimized for smoother shifting under power.
· ''Tri-Axis'' or stacked transmission design creates a more compact engine front to back that allows for optimum engine placement in the frame for optimized balanced weight distribution and incredible handling.
· Heavy-duty, large-capacity clutch ensures consistent, fade-free performance.
· Revised cooling system features a curved radiator with new dual ring-type fans for excellent engine cooling efficiency. The ring-type fan offers more airflow than a conventional non-ring type fan.
· Large-capacity internal water pump and separate liquid-cooled oil cooler ensures consistent engine temperatures for maximum performance.
· Direct ignition coils, iridium spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver reliable firing. With this system, the ignition coils are integrated into the plug caps, significantly reducing weight.
· 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust optimizes engine performance, and features a mix of stainless steel, titanium and aluminum to reduce overall weight.
· Revised ECU (electronic control unit) map accommodates the new larger throttle bodies for improved engine performance as well as the new immobilizer ignition system.